Rittenhouse attys fume when prosecutors submit last-minute ‘evidence’ with incompatible app


Powered by

CHECK OUT WeThePeople.store and WeThePeople.wine for holiday gifts and awesome snarky swag!


Kyle Rittenhouse’s attorneys once again demanded on Wednesday that the judge overseeing the case declare a mistrial over new video footage from the Kenosha riots that the prosecution had unveiled at the last minute.

The demand came even as the jury “spent about 45 minutes” that morning “reviewing video evidence” from the case, according to CBS News, presumably including the new footage.

At issue is a drone video that two of Rittenhouse’s attorneys, Mark Richards and Corey Chirafisi, say their team received, but not in its entirety. It appears they were, instead, given a lower-resolution version versus the full 1080p HD version.

They specifically say that “the prosecution did not turn over the full-resolution video until two days before closing arguments began and after the time to turn over evidence had closed,” as reported by Fox News.

As such, they initially asked Judge Bruce Schroeder to declare a mistrial with prejudice, which would protect Rittenhouse from being targeted with the same charges again.

But in a statement to Fox News, former federal prosecutor Neama Rahmani cast doubt on the chances of the request being honored.

“Almost no chance the motion is granted. Discovery violations can result in sanctions, exclusion of evidence and adverse jury instructions, but dismissal with prejudice is the last resort,” he said.

On Wednesday, the attorneys tried again but this time requested a mistrial without prejudice, which would open the door to a new trial.

“They’re probably asking for that in the alternative because they know the motion will never be granted with prejudice,” Rahmani said of the new motion.

The prosecution has, for their part, claimed the video mishap was the defense’s fault. The plan had been to transfer the video file to the defense using an app called AirDrop. But because Rittenhouse attorney Natalie Wisco uses an Android device, not Apple, the file had to be sent via email. The problem is that the Apple Mail app “automatically compresses video files sent as an attachment,” according to The Verge.

The prosecution now claims that the defense could have averted this had it simply accepted another medium.

“They could have asked for a thumb drive. They could have asked for whatever. We’re not responsible for that,” assistant district attorney James Kraus reportedly said.

Judge Schroeder has yet to issue a ruling on the request, and from the sounds of it, he won’t anytime soon.

“The judge said he had ‘qualms’ about admitting the video during the trial, but because it had already been shown in court, he would allow the jury to rewatch it during deliberations,” the Associated Press confirmed.

“But if it turns out the video should not have been admitted into evidence, ‘it’s going to be ugly,’ Schroeder warned,” according to the AP.

The judge added only that the request will have to be addressed if there’s a guilty verdict, suggesting therefore that it’ll have to be dealt with during an appeal.

“We can’t resolve this now, because this is going to require expert testimony from people,” he reportedly also said.

As of Thursday morning, the jury was still deliberating, leaving those who staunchly support Rittenhouse wondering why it was taking them so long to recognize that the young man had acted out in self-defense.

The three mugshots seen in the tweets above are those of the three suspects whom Rittenhouse shot, two fatally, allegedly in self-defense as they chased him — reportedly with the intent to hurt him — on the night of Aug. 25th, 2020.

Note what some Twitter users wrote about the protesters outside the courthouse. Comprised entirely of far-leftists, the protesters are convinced that Rittenhouse is a white supremacist murderer who’d been out to kill.

It’s why they’ve been sharing this quote from “comedian” Trevor Noah ad nauseam:

In fairness to Noah, he made the remark in the immediate aftermath of the Aug. 25th shooting. It’s not clear if he’s changed his mind since then.

Having actually reviewed the evidence, many have since changed their minds, including classically conservative commentator Bari Weiss, formerly of The New York Times.

Vivek Saxena
Latest posts by Vivek Saxena (see all)






Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *